[Evolution] Re: [HC Evolve] Evolution and Netscape Calendaring

Leif Utterstrom <leif utterstrom pwi com> writes:

Will Evolution's calendaring functionality be compatible with Netscape
Calendar? Also, will it support LDAP?

The Netscape Calendar used the (obsolete) vCalendar standard last time
I looked.  In some time you will be able to import such data into the
Evolution calendar, which uses the new iCalendar standard.

I don't think we will be supporting LDAP for calendaring anytime
soon.  There is no standard for calendaring using LDAP as a storage
backend.  Also, it would be problematic for Evolution's purposes
because LDAP does not provide notification of changes to the data,
which is the basic model/view scheme that Evolution's Wombat server
and its GUI views use.

Of course, we may be missing something.  Do you know of any
notification-based systems that do use LDAP as a backend for
calendaring?

  Federico