Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Package Dependencies

I want to download just the Evolution package on my Red Hat 7.1 system using
the Red-Carpet package manager. Selecting this package on the Install screen
and clicking the install button gives me a failed dependencies error:

"Package kdepim needs package libpisock.so.3 which cannot be found"

What that really means is that in order to install Evolution, it's going
to need to upgrade your libpisock, and that will break kdepim. I'm not
sure why it words it like that...

1. Can I download just the Evolution package without downloading other
Ximian packages (desktop, etc.)?

You need to download all of the libraries it depends on, but you don't
need the whole desktop.

3. The libpisock.so.3 library appears to be part of the pilot-link package,
which is used for synching Palm Pilots with desktop tools. If I don't have a
Palm Pilot, can I just uninstall the pilot-link package? Will that get rid
of the dependency problem I have now?

Yes, if you remove your existing pilot-link package, you ought to be
able to install Evolution. But you'll have to remove kdepim too, since
it depends on the old pilot-link.

-- Dan