Re: [Evolution-hackers] Post-release version incrementing

Le mardi 11 décembre 2007 à 00:35 -0500, Matthew Barnes a écrit :
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 03:29 +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> > May I suggest a third, in my opinion superior, way: Both.
> >
> > That's what cairo uses, see
> > http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-Version-Information.html . The
> > micro version number is even in released tarballs, and odd
> > inbetween. The even number never exists in SVN. The micro number is
> > bumped by the person doing a release, and then bumped again and
> > committed after the tarball has been built. Thus there cannot be any
> > confusion between official released versions and builds from SVN at
> > least as far as version numbers are concerned.
>
> While that sounds like a sensible policy, Evolution follows GNOME's
> release schedule and version numbering [1]. So that would have to be
> enacted for all GNOME components, and that discussion is better suited
> for desktop-devel-list.

Well, since I wrote the original GEP about versioning, I can comment on
that.

Cairo versioning is interesting (it is somehow following the old linux
kernel versioning) but not really relevant for GNOME : the idea behing
the GEP for versioning was to be able to spot immediatly when a tarball
was released, without having to dig into release date and so on. It
worked quite well. If you really want to go into cairo versioning, I
suggest you create a nano version (ie 2.21.3.90), so it doesn't interact
with GNOME versioning, but I don't think it is worth the trouble.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva