Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution and rtl support

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 20:52 +0200, Arafat Medini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following the advice of Christian Rose of the i18n team I am contacting
> you the Evo hackers to look at this issue. So I hope this mail doesn't
> generate some flames as I'll try to be as polite as possible ;)

the flames in the previous thread were started by your mail, which said
'evo developers dont care about arabic because they don't use it',
which, as I pointed out in my answer, is not true at all.

> Evolution has bad rtl support as seen in this screen:
>
> http://www.silverpen.de/evo.png
>
> The task/mail/contact/calendar widgets are not present and many bars are
> not flipped the right way.

could you show us shots for the calendar/contact/tasks widgets? At least
for the calendar views, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't show
up.

> Under this id you can find the bug which was already reported: 56693
> I've included a detailed descriptionn at the end of the page as my last
> comment on the bug. And there is already a patch for flipping icons in
> the right order.
>
> I want to lobby for this bug because of the two following reasons:
>
> More then 50 countries use rtl scripts (without counting the islamic
> countries which use Arabic as a second or third language), like Arabic
> hebrew persian etc... rtl using countries are making a really big part
> of our world. It wouldn't be good if those ppl would have to wait longer
> for such a great app till it becomes usable for them.
> The second reason is that the interface looks messy which degrades the
> overall desktop experience for a user when using gnome. To have a high
> quality desktop I think it should be very good to have such an important
> app behaving correctly under the corresponding locale.
>
> the majority will look at Evo first place when installing gnome 2.8 so
> having a decent looking app is not so wrong ;)
>
> So I really hope this bug gets your attention. And gets resolved for
> 2.8!
> The translation is nearly done too (80%) so I hope this gets spin.
>
> many thanx for reading. And I hope my mail was friendly enough to not
> make anyone angry ;)

this time I'm sure no one will be angry, given that this is quite
different from the 'evo developers dont care about arabic' thing :-)

cheers