Re: [Evolution-hackers] PIM application suite

Le dim, 18/04/2004 à 13:44 -0400, JP Rosevear a écrit :
> > Yes, and I agree that having one separate application to manage the
> > contacts in all apps would be better.
> >
> > I'm currently forced to have an internal address book in GnomeMeeting,
> > because I don't want to tell people that they have to install the whole
> > Evolution "suite" to be able to manage their GnomeMeeting contacts.
> >
> > Conclusion, there is effort duplication : Evolution and GnomeMeeting
> > will both have their own address book (sharing the same backend which is
> > better) when there could be only one specialized program to do it.
>
> This was the purpose of e-d-s, don't confuse the UI of the app with the
> data storage mechanism.  The gnome meeting guys are already looking at
> using the e-d-s data storage mechanism.  Whether the gui part is in

I'm the "GnomeMeeting guys" ;)

> Evolution or a separate app makes little difference.

Perhaps psychological. If we tell to our users "you don't have a local
address book in the GnomeMeeting UI, but you can use the GNOME Contacts
software to manage your GnomeMeeting contacts", it will be ok. However,
if we tell them they have to run and install Evolution to manage their
GnomeMeeting contacts, I think they won't accept it.

That doesn't disturb me to have our own address book in GM, but I think
it would perhaps be better if we were using an external soft, and not
only an external backend.