Re: [Evolution-hackers] PIM application suite

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 22:58 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:

> > > evolution 1.5 already does that
> >
> > Except nothing *really* uses it. There is a gaim plug-in that can
> > optionally depend
> > on the evolution stuff. I think there is a patch for gossip as well, and
> > there are
> > a few other things starting to use evolution-data-server for contacts
> > and calendar
> > information, like GnomeMeeting.
> >

> Yes, and I agree that having one separate application to manage the
> contacts in all apps would be better.
>
> I'm currently forced to have an internal address book in GnomeMeeting,
> because I don't want to tell people that they have to install the whole
> Evolution "suite" to be able to manage their GnomeMeeting contacts.
>
> Conclusion, there is effort duplication : Evolution and GnomeMeeting
> will both have their own address book (sharing the same backend which is
> better) when there could be only one specialized program to do it.

This was the purpose of e-d-s, don't confuse the UI of the app with the
data storage mechanism.  The gnome meeting guys are already looking at
using the e-d-s data storage mechanism.  Whether the gui part is in
Evolution or a separate app makes little difference.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>
Novell, Inc.