Re: Porting of Python extensions?

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Magnus Therning<magnus therning org> wrote:
> Xan Lopez wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Magnus Therning<magnus therning org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't been paying attention it seems :-)
>>>
>>> All Python extensions have been removed from the master branch in Git.
>>>  The log message says "They are still in version control when we want
>>> to port them over."
>>
>> Right!
>>
>> As you might recall (or perhaps not), a few weeks ago we were
>> discussing whether to deprecate Python in this cycle or the next one,
>> and I said I wasn't sure what to do. Well, since then I made a few
>> quite big internal API changes that simplify things quite a bit, but
>> that unfortunately broke most extensions (again...). I decided that
>> instead of fixing things in Python land to later remove it I'd just go
>> ahead and do all big changes in one go. So, that's for a bit of
>> context.
>
> Ah, yes, I remember.  I didn't think you'd find the time to make such a
> substantial push.  This is great news!
>
>>> Port them over to what, and how?
>>
>> The options are C and Seed. I suppose most people with python
>> extensions will decide to either give up on them or port them to Seed,
>> so I'll assume you are interested in the latter :)
>
> Yes, I think I'll go for Seed, it looks like an interesting little
> experiment
> :-)
>
>>> I'm more than willing to port my single little extension, but I need a
>>> little more info to do it :-)
>>
>> The basics of writing a seed extension are covered here:
>> http://blogs.gnome.org/racarr/2009/02/08/epiphany-seed-extensions/
>> (there's really not a lot to it), and the seed wiki page
>> (http://live.gnome.org/Seed/) has pointers to documentation and
>> examples. I've already started writing extensions and filling upstream
>> bugs, and I encourage everyone to do the same to have the best support
>> possible for 2.28.
>>
>> Other than that I guess it depends on the particulars of what you want
>> to do; feel free to ask any question here or in the channel, and we'll
>> try to help.
>
> Great, the first step will be to get a bleeding-edge version of epiphany
> compiled.  I remember that I had a lot of problems the last time I tried
> doing
> that, though that was a _long_ time ago.  Then it was suggested that I don't
> try to build an entire Gnome from trunk (with jhbuild) but rather just build
> epiphany against release versions of various libraries.  Is that still the
> case?

Yes, you don't really need the full desktop at all. To build epiphany
trunk you'll need:

- WebKitGTK+ 1.1.10 or newer (using trunk is always better ;))
- libsoup 2.26.0 or newer (newer is recommended, use trunk)
- GTK+ 2.16.0 or newer

For seed/gobject-introspection, use trunk of both, since you really
want to be using the bleeding edge stuff.

I think that's all.

Xan