Fwd: Porting of Python extensions?

Agh, forgot to send to list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Xan Lopez <xan gnome org>
Date: 2009/7/1
Subject: Re: Porting of Python extensions?
To: Magnus Therning <magnus therning org>

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Magnus Therning<magnus therning org> wrote:
> I haven't been paying attention it seems :-)
>
> All Python extensions have been removed from the master branch in Git.
>  The log message says "They are still in version control when we want
> to port them over."

Right!

As you might recall (or perhaps not), a few weeks ago we were
discussing whether to deprecate Python in this cycle or the next one,
and I said I wasn't sure what to do. Well, since then I made a few
quite big internal API changes that simplify things quite a bit, but
that unfortunately broke most extensions (again...). I decided that
instead of fixing things in Python land to later remove it I'd just go
ahead and do all big changes in one go. So, that's for a bit of
context.

> Port them over to what, and how?

The options are C and Seed. I suppose most people with python
extensions will decide to either give up on them or port them to Seed,
so I'll assume you are interested in the latter :)

> I'm more than willing to port my single little extension, but I need a
> little more info to do it :-)

The basics of writing a seed extension are covered here:
http://blogs.gnome.org/racarr/2009/02/08/epiphany-seed-extensions/
(there's really not a lot to it), and the seed wiki page
(http://live.gnome.org/Seed/) has pointers to documentation and
examples. I've already started writing extensions and filling upstream
bugs, and I encourage everyone to do the same to have the best support
possible for 2.28.

Other than that I guess it depends on the particulars of what you want
to do; feel free to ask any question here or in the channel, and we'll
try to help.

Xan