Re: Side panel, plugins and image collection pane

Hi,

2007/7/19, Felix Riemann <friemann svn gnome org>:
Am Donnerstag, den 19.07.2007, 00:45 +0100 schrieb Lucas Rocha:
> Hi all,

Hi!

> Considering the UI consistency problem described in one of my blog
> posts[1], I decided to make some (sort of) important change in UI. We
> will "officially" only support the image collection placed on the
> bottom side of the window (just like we have in the latest stable Eye
> of GNOME version). This means I'll remove the preferences tab for
> image collection positioning.

> Comments?

To bad, this didn't work out so nicely. It was a neat (uncommon?)
feature to me although I don't have a widescreen monitor (which were the
main requestors for this IIRC).

Yes, but we'll keep it there for those who really want it that way.

Wasn't the plan to ditch the sidepane approach in eog-ng because it was
taking precious screen space? Maybe plugins could just reuse the
properties dialog. I can currently only think of one place where this
wouldn't be so nice: a directory browser plugin.

Well, there are other plugins where the sidepane could be useful.
Image feeds, image local network share, image groups (recently viewed,
favorites, etc), image tagging, etc. I still think it's more
consistent (with the rest of the desktop) to have image properties in
a dialog.

Cheers!

--lucasr