Re: GtkImageView for EOG

Hi Bj�

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 01:02 +0200, BJ�Lindqvist wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I spoke briefly with Lucas about this on GUADEC, and he seemed
> supportive of the idea, so here it is.
>
> I'm the author of GtkImageView which is a widget that provides a
> zoom able and pane able view of a GdkPixbuf. The project has two
> purposes, first to serve my needs in another project and secondly to
> consolidate gtk+ image viewer implementations because I was annoyed at
> all minor differences. There are lots of image viewer/editing
> programs, all using their own code because there was no ready-made
> widget they could link to, but now there is!
>
> So my proposal is basically to replace EOG:s image viewer widget with
> GtkImageView. Advantages include (but are not limited to!): Decoupling
> (engineers love that). GIF animation support. Standardized keyboard
> and mouse interface (mostly borrowed from gThumb) and Image
> nav button. Disadvantages: Not so many because I've borrowed all the good
> ideas from EOG. :) Not so well supported because the widget is fairly new
> (first released April 2007). But there's no rush, I don't expect
> GtkImageView to be "mature enough" before GNOME 2.22 anyway.

How does GtkImageView perform with big animations? There's a bug in EOG
about very bad performance with big animations (#344731).

> So, if you like, I can produce a proof of concept patch that
> demonstrates how EOG performs with GtkImageView.

I personally think it's something worth considering. I'd like to see a
proof of concept patch. I've just hacked my minimal image viewer to use
GtkImageView and I have to say I like the way it works and performs
(with only 107 lines of C code in the application side!!!).

On the other hand, at some point it would be needed to propose
GtkImageView as a dependency for EOG (and therefore for GNOME). I'm not
sure how receptive the community would be about it (you know, nowadays
they don't want to let much specific libraries in, but to consolidate
GTK+), but I can think of some applications in the desktop which could
benefit from GtkImageView.

Great work dude!

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl>