GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

Hello all,

A few release team members talked with various people during the first
few days at GUADEC to get a better feeling of where we stand on our road
to GNOME 3.0. We held a meeting later and decided that GNOME 3.0 should
be postponed to March 2011 to make sure this release will have the high
quality we all expect.

Our community wants to be proud of what we will release as 3.0, and
moreover, we don't want to disappoint our users who are excited about
our goals for GNOME 3.0.

We will still release a stable version of GNOME in September, and we'll
call it 2.32. We encourage maintainers to add a configure flag to easily
make their modules use GTK+ 2 and GTK+ 3, or to create a gnome-2-32
branch where the 2.32 work will be done.

Thanks to the hard work the community has been doing in the last few
months, we have achieved a lot for GNOME 3 and we therefore want to also
release a GNOME 3 Beta in September. This will clearly send a signal
that we want people to start playing with GNOME 3, and this will help
build even more momentum before the release.

Finally, it's important that everybody keeps focusing on making the
GNOME 3 vision a reality: the additional time that we have until March
2010 should be used carefully and we encourage maintainers to target
achievable goals during this new cycle.

Cheers,

        Frederic