Re: git commit messages

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:45 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 16:46 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Don't use a trailing period either.
>
> I find this really odd and rather arbitrary. I think it's something to
> do with you wanting to use these first lines in bullet-point lists. But
> there's no real grammar consensus about periods at the end of
> bullet-point items. I personally can't stand a sentence without a bullet
> point if it's more than 4 or 5 words. Can we please remove that
> requirement?

It's not a requirement.  It's a suggestion.  Individual
maintainers are free to have different suggestions.  So
the goal of the overall suggestions is to capture what
most maintainers want.

FWIW, the no-period form matches exactly what we do for
application descriptions in .desktop files, as well as
the module descriptions in the new DOAP files.

I don't think our Style Guide has anything to say on
this matter.  We do generally defer to CMS.  I could
check if CMS says anything if anybody wants to get
really persnickety about grammar.

Personally, and this is coming from "the documentation
guy", I think it's pretty massive non-issue.

--
Shaun