Re: dconf

Rob:

My question would be is why do these "People" have a desktop in which
there isn't a DBus session bus? Its been there for a very long time now
in most distros, afact. For gnome 3.0, running without a session bus is
going to be like running gnome 2.0 without orbit2. i.e. it ain't gonna
work right.

I monitor opensolaris user list discussions, and it does cause
some confusion and problems for users when they are working in certain
setups.  As an example, I remember one user who was setting up a
multi-user kiosk environment, and only wanted the browser and a few
other applications launched with particular geometries.  They had some
trouble figuring out they needed to use dbus-launch to run one of the
programs that was GConf based.

It isn't the worst bug in the world, and the workaround is usually
not bad.  I just wanted to find out if there were any plans to make
dconf autostart itself and the services it needs more nicely than
what we have today.

However, if you want to discuss this bug more, lets discuss it in
the bug report rather than clutter this discussion further.

The fact that this
causes problems with "su" is just an example of a wider problem and
probably the most annoying aspect of the bug to normal users.

Actually, no, the su problem is completely orthogonal, this is something
that needs addressing in DBus itself and is fixable.

Yes, they are two different bug reports.  Just something I wanted to
highlight to people's attention.

Brian