Re: Metacity Compositor

On 10/3/06, Travis Watkins <alleykat gmail com> wrote:
Does compiz work without a 3D card? If not it's worthless as anything
but a power user addon.

This is orthogonal to the compiz vs. metacity discussion.  Both
compositors have exactly the same requirements to the underlying stack
(X.org and Mesa) and have the same limitations imposed on them by the
shortcomings in the drivers (direct rendering Open GL and Xv not
working).

Wether or not we want a composited desktop is a different topic, but I
think the general consensus is that we do, as long as there's an
option to fall back to a legacy desktop (that is, a non-composited
desktop).

Kristian