Re: gep-2, Desktop Theme Sets

Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> writes:

> gep-2, a proposal for "Desktop Theme Set" support, is now in GNOME cvs.
> I don't think the push to the website is working yet, so I attach the
> current revision, or you can get it from cvs/gep/proposals/gep-2.html

I force-updated it. Tried jrb's rube goldberg thing but didn't really
succeed.

Anyway, I want to see us start from the top down. We are basically out
of space in the Preferences menu. Do we add submenus and end up like
the KDE prefs menu or the GNOME 1.x menu of old?

If not we need to think this through.

Just adding a Theme Set control panel will give us these
appearance-related control panels:

 - Background
 - Font           (we should rename this Fonts btw)
 - Theme          (includes toolkit - WM - icon)
 - Theme Set      (includes both Background and Fonts in the set, not
                   just themes)

In this setup we're still missing one possibly important panel, namely
Colors where you can just change colors (overriding the theme
presumably). [1]

I believe that having both Theme and Theme Set, with Theme Set
actually grouping Background and Fonts in addition to Theme, makes
little sense. So I'm opposed to just adding a Theme Set control panel
without reworking the big picture.

How to rework?

Havoc

[1] Note that Colors is a similar problem to theme set (where a WM or
toolkit theme is a set of colors, plus an engine/style, and you can
customize the colors).  Having Color Sets nested inside Themes nested
inside Theme Sets is probably too complex an overall setup.