Re: gep-2, Desktop Theme Sets

On 29 Aug 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> writes:
> >
> > gep-2, a proposal for "Desktop Theme Set" support, is now in GNOME cvs.
> > I don't think the push to the website is working yet, so I attach the
> > current revision, or you can get it from cvs/gep/proposals/gep-2.html
> >

> I force-updated it. Tried jrb's rube goldberg thing but didn't really
> succeed.
>

> Anyway, I want to see us start from the top down. We are basically out
> of space in the Preferences menu. Do we add submenus and end up like
> the KDE prefs menu or the GNOME 1.x menu of old?
>
> If not we need to think this through.
>
> Just adding a Theme Set control panel will give us these
> appearance-related control panels:
>
>  - Background
>  - Font           (we should rename this Fonts btw)
>  - Theme          (includes toolkit - WM - icon)
>  - Theme Set      (includes both Background and Fonts in the set, not
>                    just themes)
>
> In this setup we're still missing one possibly important panel, namely
> Colors where you can just change colors (overriding the theme
> presumably). [1]
>
> I believe that having both Theme and Theme Set, with Theme Set
> actually grouping Background and Fonts in addition to Theme, makes
> little sense. So I'm opposed to just adding a Theme Set control panel
> without reworking the big picture.
>
> How to rework?

I agree with this. It seems we're getting back to the UI we had that all
the users flamed in the sun usability study.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an obese soccer-playing rock star in a wheelchair. She's a sharp-shooting
wisecracking queen of the dead living on borrowed time. They fight crime!