Re: Archive Generator -- a system tool?

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 08:58, mike wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 10:35, Rafal Hajdacki wrote:
> > W liście z pią, 09-08-2002, godz. 06:48, Seth Nickell pisze:
> > > Although I haven't looked at the RH beta, my guess is that RH found
> > the
> > > "System" menu growing too large owing to the large number of
> > > administration tools they usually install, and found it necessary to
> > > "clean it out". It would be better to seperate the "System" menu into
> > > two menus rather than mucking with proper categorization. Though I
> > don't
> > > have the items sitting in front of me, I would suggest creating an
> > > "Administration" or "System Configuration" menu or something like it,
> > > either as a sub-category of the "System Tools" menu or as a new
> > > top-level menu.
> > >
> > > -Seth
> >
> > Please Havoc, separate RH system configuration tools from system menu.
> > There is too much items right now. And it is rather strange to have
> > system configuration tools and terminal in one menu.
>
> I have always thought this quite wierd - wouldn't it be better to have
> terminal as accesories or office anyway

Office? I'm not even sure how to respond to that. As for accessories:

"- If desktop computers did not exist would the functionality provided
by this tool have any relevance? If the answer is "yes", its an
accessory, if the answer is "no", it is a system tool."

> Also how about amending vfolder so system preferences go as a
> sub-directory of preferences (which would leave actual system apps in
> system like conf tools, user admin etc)
>
> IMHO system settings that are per user like eg gconf-editor should be
> uder desktop preferences anyway leaving system for root user tasks

That's already the basic idea. Desktop Preferences contains items that
can be touched by any user without requiring the root password.

-Seth