Re: [Banshee-List] banshee r3492 - in trunk/banshee: .src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.Collectionsrc/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.Sourcessrc/Core/Banshee.ThickClient/Banshee.Gui.Widgets

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:43:25 -0500, "Gabriel Burt" <gabriel burt gmail com>
wrote:
> We purposefully replaced this more verbose version with the simple
> one.  For example, we don't expand the file size into "2 GB, 42MB, 12
> KB".  It's much cleaner, shorter without such expansions.  Please
> revert.

Reverted. Sorry about that; I wasn't sure if it was a something you
guys did on purpose or what. I probably should've sent a message to the
list before hand, though.

I do kind of disagree with the decision though, for two reasons:
  a) Information loss. Fairly obvious, but 1.2 days worth of music
     really doesn't show as much information as 1 day, 12 hours, 15
     minutes.

  b) Wrong formatting for time. You don't really reheat your food for
     1.2 minutes do you? "OK, so, 2/10ths of a minute is 12 seconds."
     If you're trying to easily work out the total playtime of a short
     playlist (~20 songs), it's much easier to read "1 minute, 12
     seconds" (or at the very least, "0:01:12"), rather than "1.2
     minutes".

I do agree that it seems a bit verbose, but I'd rather verbose than
time measurements that require me to do a bit of math each time I want
to work out how long my playlist is. Also, your example about filesize
isn't /that/ valid since you only ever really need rough measurements
for filesize, and you don't work out length that way (if that makes
sense).

Anyway, just my 2c.

Cheers,
Alex Hixon