Re: [Banshee-List] New installation; won't play any type of file

Hi, Steve,

Thanks for your reply.  My version of gnome is 2.16 and moving/copying the libraries to the /usr/lib directory didn't help.  I believe that you are correct that Banshee can't see the gstreamer libraries, however, because I tested a second music player (Rhythmbox) that also doesn't work and, in fact, expressly complained that it couldn't find the gstreamer plugins.  Since my initial email, I've further verified that Banshee can't play a music CD either (although it has no problems getting all of the meta-data).

So I'm afraid I'm still at a loss.  If you have any other ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks again,
Rob

On 4/11/07, Stephen Holmes <stephen onedotone com> wrote:

Rob Frazor wrote:
> I recently installed OpenSUSE 10.2 on my laptop, and it installed
> Banshee (ver 0.11.2-30-i586) as part of the package.  While I was
> easily able to find my music files and put them in Banshee's
> library, Banshee is unable to play any of them, regardless of
> whether they are mp3 or wma in format.  An error box indicates that
> I don't have the proper decoder for the file.  I've
> installed/reinstalled the GStreamer engine for Banshee, the Win32
> codecs and and every plugin I could find for Banshee (which are all
> up to date), but the fact that it can't even play an mp3 file is
> disconcerting.
>
> Can anyone provide some guidance?

This only happened to me on openSUSE 10.2 when the gstreamer libraries
were placed in a location that banshee couldn't see.  If you're using
the stock gnome code (2.16) then this will probably be in
/opt/gnome/lib/gstreamer, but if like me you're on the edge with 2.18,
then you need to physically move the gstreamer stuff from that folder
to /usr/lib/gstreamer.

If you want to leave things where they are, then you probably want to
look at adding the location of gstreamer library folder to a
gstreamer.conf file in  /etc/ld.so.conf.d/
You can create this file manually.

Hope it helps.
Steve

Hope this helps!