Re: [Banshee-List] New installation; won't play any type of file

Rob Frazor wrote:
> I recently installed OpenSUSE 10.2 on my laptop, and it installed
> Banshee (ver 0.11.2-30-i586) as part of the package.  While I was
> easily able to find my music files and put them in Banshee's
> library, Banshee is unable to play any of them, regardless of
> whether they are mp3 or wma in format.  An error box indicates that
> I don't have the proper decoder for the file.  I've
> installed/reinstalled the GStreamer engine for Banshee, the Win32
> codecs and and every plugin I could find for Banshee (which are all
> up to date), but the fact that it can't even play an mp3 file is
> disconcerting.
>
> Can anyone provide some guidance?

This only happened to me on openSUSE 10.2 when the gstreamer libraries
were placed in a location that banshee couldn't see.  If you're using
the stock gnome code (2.16) then this will probably be in
/opt/gnome/lib/gstreamer, but if like me you're on the edge with 2.18,
then you need to physically move the gstreamer stuff from that folder
to /usr/lib/gstreamer.

If you want to leave things where they are, then you probably want to
look at adding the location of gstreamer library folder to a
gstreamer.conf file in  /etc/ld.so.conf.d/
You can create this file manually.

Hope it helps.
Steve

Hope this helps!