Re: Launching composer from OO 1.1

On 2003.10.14 20:16, Francisco Ortiz Santini wrote:
> Greetings to all:
>
> Running balsa 2.0.15 on RedHat 9. I have just installed OpenOffice
> 1.1 and found an option to send documents as e-mail or send them as
> PDF attachments. In OO's Tools>Options>External Programs I entered "/
> usr/bin/balsa" in the path option for default e-mail program. In
> "Tools>Options>External Programs>MAILTO:"; I have entered commands
> similar to those I used to invoke the composer in Galeon ("balsa -m
> '%u'") and Mozilla-Firebird, but when I try the "File>Send" menu to
> invoke the composer and send the document, Balsa just opens the main
> window with a window message telling me that the program "coud'nt
> open mailbox 'mpose'".  My question would be if I did the right thing
> entering Balsa's path in the default mail program option and what
> command should I enter in the "MAILTO:"; option to launch the
> composer. As usual, thanks in advance for all your help.

After failing to receive any reply to this post, I made a research to
see how my "second option" as e-mail client dealt, or not, with this
inquiry: SylpheedClaws. They did in a way not very different from the
"extensions" concept used in the MozillaFirebird web browser. Available
there is a little script program to which you point the
"Tools>Options>External Programs" of OpenOffice (interestingly, not in
the "MAILTO:"; option) and then Sylpheed composer opens to receive the
document as attachment in original or PDF format. Indeed, the Sylpheed
community offers other "extensions" or "plug-ins" that allow their
program to interact with web browsers and even KDE applications,
including importing addresses made and stored in said applications.

I suppose the reason for the lack of something similar in Balsa might
be that OO is not a "GNOME program", contrary to Abiword. If this is
so, I beg to differ. Balsa is good enough at this stage to aspire to
interact with other programs outside of GNOME. In my case, I am writing
this message using Balsa in my KDE environment (from time to time, I
switch between both environments, although 90% of the time I stay in
GNOME). Further, I believe that the ability to interact with OO is
fundamental, at least from my end-user's point of view.

Finally, I would like to suggest that Balsa can remain faithful to its
GNOME roots while being able to extend its abilities or services to
non-GNOME applications. Sylpheed's approach might provide a hint in
this respect.

I am just an end-user who happens to like Balsa very much. If I have
the talent, I would gladly try to design some kind of plug-in or
extension for OO interacting, but I can't. I just can offer time to
test and report to the Balsa community, while at the same time using
the program as my default e-mail application.

So, I would like to change my inquiry to a "wish-list" matter. Thanks
in advance for taking the time to read this and hope it helps for
something.

Francisco