Re: new design

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 14:22 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 15:23 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > For these async "poll" calls we need to keep in-memory waitqueues for
> > various db objects that we need to trigger each time such an object
> > changes.
>
> Seems to me that we want some sort of signal mechanism; clients can then
> subscribe to various signals.  A waitqueue per object seems bad since
> then you have to poll the various queues.

How i imagined it there would be a single blocking xmlrpc call, to which
you pass a set of objects you're interested in. When one (or more) of
these changes you return from the call, and as the return value you get
told what objects changed.

This way we only need one xmlrpc call. This is nice, since we don't want
to many outstanding calls.

The way i would implement this is that the poll call registers itself on
the waitqueue of all the objects the user passed, and when an object is
changed due to an operation, we signal all waiters on the waitqueue for
that object.

> > I'm gonna start experimenting a bit with getting some form live editing
> > working in a web browser. Maybe this its a good way to start this whole
> > redesign: pick one feature and try to get that working in a standalone
> > web page. This way we can learn what works and what doesn't work, and
> > what is needed before designing the more complicated server that does
> > all these things at the same time.
>
> Well, the live editing is clearly the hardest part.  The other features
> we had a good start on in the previous yarrr web client.

Not only the live editing, but the "live" aspect of all the parts in the
page.

> > The mockup has a "Start a Discussion" button. Does this mean there can
> > be several chats per page?
>
> Yeah, I didn't understand that either; perhaps Seth's original thought
> was that not all comments have discussions, and you had to explicitly
> start one.  Or are discussions even strongly associated with comments at
> all?  I thought they were because of the "> Discussion (Closed)"
> underneath the top comment but now I'm not sure.

The way i see discussion logging is:
Then a user starts a comment, the time is logged, and when its closed,
all the discussion lines from the start time to the time of closing is
stored in the log for that comment.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a short-sighted hunchbacked sorceror who hides his scarred face behind a
mask. She's a provocative out-of-work femme fatale in the wrong place at the
wrong time. They fight crime!