persistence

Hey,

So I've been working on persistence with Hibernate and Derby for the
last two days, and I think things are nearly working.  However I'm
running into an odd Derby SQL error:

Caused by: SQL Exception: A truncation error was encountered trying to shrink VARCHAR () FOR BIT DATA 'XX-RESOLVE-XX' to length 255.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Util.java)

I'm going to work on debugging this tomorrow, but for now I thought I
should commit what I have; I put it on a branch named "persistence" if
anyone wants to look at it and play.