[xslt] Need a robust way to search and select nodes

My investigation shows that in a large complex XML, match and select fail to find a specific node.  I manually deleted namespaces and deleted blocks of nodes/tags.  Then, match and select worked.

This appears that match and select got blocked by namespaces and blocks of nodes.

My question is whether there is a robust way to search through an XML to do match and select.

Anyone can enlighten me on this matter?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards, Shao