Re: [xslt] str:split, str:tokenize and empty tokens

On 25/10/2012 15:34, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 05:00:31PM +0200, Nick Wellnhofer wrote:

This seems wrong to me, and I couldn't find anything in the EXSLT
spec that mandates this behavior. Thoughts?

   Do other implementations do the same, if yes too bad, work around
it, if no and EXSLT doesn't mandate that behaviour, feel free to fix :-)

I tried to check Saxon and Xalan, but they don't seem to support str:split. But I had a look at the implementations in plain XSLT on the EXSLT website:

http://www.exslt.org/str/functions/split/str.split.template.xsl
http://www.exslt.org/str/functions/split/str.split.function.xsl

They both remove empty tokens intentionally. So we should keep the current behavior.

The fn:tokenize function in XPath 2.0 keeps empty tokens btw:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-tokenize

"Zero-length strings will also occur in the result sequence if a separator occurs at the end of the $input string, or if two adjacent substrings match the supplied $pattern."

Nick