[xslt] xmllint validation disliking iso_639 three letter codes in xs:language

As explained below, I'm trying to track down while xmllint is
complaining when xml:lang and other xs:language-typed attributes contain
three letter language codes.

I 'mao' and 'rap' are present in both
/usr/share/xml/iso-codes/iso_639_3.xml and
/usr/share/xml/iso-codes/iso_639.xml, but xmllint appears not to be
seeing them.

The version I'm using is:

stuart rb-501a-13-c:/usr/share/xml/iso-codes$ xmllint -version
xmllint: using libxml version 20632
    compiled with: Threads Tree Output Push Reader Patterns Writer SAXv1
FTP HTTP DTDValid HTML Legacy C14N Catalog XPath XPointer XInclude Iconv
ISO8859X Unicode Regexps Automata Expr Schemas Schematron Modules Debug
Zlib

Is this a bug?

cheers
stuart