[xslt] What does 'Loop error' has to do with duplicate function definitions?

Hi,

I've just tracked down an error in a stylesheet that turned out to be because I was trying to define two func:functions of the same name. The error message said

libxslt error: compilation error: file <filename> line 186 element function
libxslt error: Failed to register function {mynamespace}param
Loop error

What exactly does 'Loop error' mean in that context?

Regards,

Mark Howe