Re: [xslt] Replacing the dict used by the transform context

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:25:13PM +0200, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Sure, I'm not questioning the first rule. I was serious. Would you consider
> the above a viable solution or could you come up with a way to safe the
> concurrency support in XSLT processing?

  Well libxslt is thread safe by default. It's the fact of not using a subdict
for each transformation which makes it non-safe.
  If you clearly point out that every XML/XSLT data should be kept in the
same thread then yeah, I think you should be safe, but it also depends on
the user not doing crazy things, and when it comes from threaded programming
people will do crazy things without even realizing. The big claim of lxml
was that it would be pythonic in removing the constrain for a programmer
to keep track of the lifetime of XML object. You end up with having to
track the thread 'owning' an object instead, which would be better for
some apps but could turn nightmarish for others.
  Sorry I don't see a simple solution, and adding locking at the dictionnary
access level would just kill performances in the general case.