[xslt] illegal reference to symbol: _crc32

Hello,
         I am trying to compile libxml as a static library on MAC OS X.
Using the Xcode I obtained the library(libxml.a). But when I use that
library I get following error at link time,

ld: /usr/lib/libxml.a(xmlIO.o) illegal reference to symbol: _crc32
defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib

I just want to use this library to along with libxslt to perform XSLT
transformations. But I need static libraries for this. Is there some
flag/Preprocessor Macro that I have to set in Xcode to get rid of this
error?

-Utkarsh