Re: [xslt] Kannada fonts garbled in xsltproc

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 12:35:09PM +0530, Manoj.Lobo wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I changed the encoding from X-user-defined to iso-8859-1 and the characters
> are not changed. Thanks for your help, its been a week since I've been
> trying
> to make xsltproc not to change the characters.
>
> As of now we are mannually creating webpages for thatskannada.com, in order
> make things smoother I researched and zeroed in on libxml2 to automatically
> create these webpages.
>
> Is there a better solution than libxml2? Will I run into problems later if
> I use libxml2 for this Content Management?

  I didn't reply to your initial mail. You're violently mixing totally
different things:
    - language of text
    - characters in said text
    - encoding used for this text representation
    - font used to render characters

 You really look confused on this issue, cheating on the encoding
to try to get the wrong font to apply to text encoded in a language
not supported by the encoding.

 The solution to your problem is *not* at the libxml2/libxslt versus another
toolkit level. All conformant XSLT processors will generate the same output
for the same input. What you must do is understand why iso-8859-1 is not
proper (it's supposed to cover western europe languages), what is the
real encoding of your text, make sure the resulting encoding specified
in your XSLT stylesheets can cover the caracter range for your language.
Then any XSLT processor will work assuming they have support for that
encoding.
   Read http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/ and some of the other specifications
referenced by this working draft.

  Again, all this is not related specifically to libxml2 and libxslt as
far as I can tell from your first mail.