Re: [xslt] performance: xsl:attribute vs. textual attribute

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 02:38:17PM +0100, Kasimier Buchcik wrote:

Hi,

Performance of "xsl:attribute" versus textual attributes.

This mail is related to the optimization request in mail [1].

  That is obsolete I think. AVT are now precompiled as much
as possible. It might be something else.

Did someone already look into it? Is this doable in Libxml2? I did a
little performance testing and the "xsl:attribute" version seems to
quite slower.

  yes, that should be fixed already, [1] is obsolete.
[...]

Regarding the mail-thread [2], it seems that XSLT authors are not always
aware of performance differences here.
As a workaround we are currently changing every stylesheet by
substituting attributes for xsl:attribute before transforming.

  I bet saxon does a far greater job at trying to optimize intermediate
structure, libxml2 relies far more on the original tree I think.

Ahh, so that's the difference. In the case of attributes: would it break something if libxslt would not rely on the original tree? I.e. since not even the position of attributes is significant. Could the same mechanism as for "xsl:attribute" be used implicitely by libxslt? Or does this make no sense at all, due to the internals of libxslt?

Greetings (I still hope to be back to the schemata soon),

Kasimier