Re: [xslt] XSLT and Safari

--- David Hyatt <hyatt apple com> wrote:
> Hello.  My name is Dave Hyatt, and I work on WebCore, the open-source
> layout engine that powers the Safari Web Browser.  Some time ago we
> switched away from expat to libxml2 for all our XML parsing, and now
> I'm working on integrating libxslt into Safari.

Cool.

> I can figure out all the imports/includes, use our own security
> routines and recursion defenses when loading, and ultimately end up
> with a bunch of xmlDocPtrs.  What I'd then like to do is be able to
> tell libxslt to parse a top-level stylesheet, but then register
> callbacks, so that for a given import/include URI in a specified parent
> stylesheet, I could then hand back the xmlDocPtr without libxslt having
> to do any I/O.  I'm not trying to reuse these xmlDocPtrs, so libxslt
> would be free to modify them if it needed to.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable request?

I think one area that may cause all sorts of problems in this approach would be
the dictionaries.  libxslt makes use of string interning through dictionaries,
and the included documents share the same dictionary as the top level document.
 Parsing the includes/imports seperately would cause multiple dictionaries (or
no dictionaries at all) to be used which I think will mess up libxslt's
internal processing.