[xslt] hook a callback into the transformation process

Hi,

I hope someone has a suggestion for the following problem:
consider libxslt has to perform a time intensive transformation, during
which a database connection might get lost; is it possible to hook into
the transformation process (via a callback) to be able to periodically
check the database connection and abort the transformation if needed?
I know that we could use two threads, one to observe the db-connection
the other to run the transformation, but I'm interested in a solution
with less overhead. When would it be wise to fire such a callback (e.g.
every called template, every for-each, ect.) ?
Any hints?

Thanks,

Kasimier Buchcik