[xslt] Support for exslt func:function dropped ?

Hi.

I have a project that makes extensive use of the EXSLT func:function
extension element in stylesheets processed by xsltproc.  After upgrading
my stock RHL 8.0 to the most-recent libxml2-2.5.7-1 and
libxslt-1.0.30-1, xsltproc now complains that

    xmlXPathCompOpEval: function get-section-by-id not found
    XPath error Unregistered function in mcf:get-section-by-id(@src)

when I try to call a function that I created via func:function.  The
function in question worked just fine under the RHL-8.0 version of
xsltproc and is indeed registered:

    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
      xmlns:xlink='http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink'
      xmlns:func="http://exslt.org/functions";
      xmlns:exsl="http://exslt.org/common";
      xmlns:mcf="http://moertel.com/xsl/1.0/functions";
      extension-element-prefixes="func exsl"

    <!-- other stuff omitted -->

    <func:function name="mcf:get-section-by-id">
      <xsl:param name="id"/>
      <xsl:for-each select="$CONTENT">
        <func:result select="key('id-to-section', $id)"/>
      </xsl:for-each>
    </func:function>

Further, xsltproc --dumpextensions lists func:result but not
func:function among the supported extension elements:

    $ xsltproc --dumpextensions | grep func
    {http://exslt.org/functions}result

Was support for func:function dropped or must I do something new to use
it?  (I couldn't see anything relevant in the man page.)

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Tom