[xslt] xsltApplyStylesheet not returning?

If a stylesheet causes an error (in my case it was a variable being used
that never existed) xsltApplyStylesheet doesn't seem to return - is it
doing a longjmp or something?

In LibXSLT.xs I have:

        xsltSetGenericDebugFunc(NULL, NULL);
        real_dom = xsltApplyStylesheet(self, doc, xslt_params);
        if (real_dom == NULL) {
           // handle error
        }

And it never gets to teh if() statement if there's an error. But it
doesn't segfault - for some reason it's causing my method (implemented in
perl XS) to just return, which causes perl's stack to be corrupt and I get
a perl error.

Any ideas what to look for? I tried setting/unsetting various error
handler functions but I always get the same results, whether or not I'm
printing out the error myself or letting libxslt do it.

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->get a SMart net</:->