[xslt] entity substitution... broken?

I'm using the current Win32 versions of the libraries, available on
Igor's website.

I have a template file that defines a number of entities used in the
templates. If one of the entities isn't there, errors are generated
because the entity cannot be resolved. All well and good. But if the
entity is there, it doesn't make it into the (html) output. This program
worked either earlier versions of the Win32 Libxml2 and libxslt
libraries, and I can't find the magic switch. Any suggestions?

-Michael