Re: [xslt] Setting xsl:output parameters on compiled stylesheets

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 01:17:46PM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:04:24PM +0200, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> >  Dear libxslt users/developers,
> >
> >  is there a safe way to change the xsl:output arguments of a compiled
> >  stylesheet? E.g: I would like to change the xsl:output/@method
> >  (i.e. the method field of the _xsltStylesheet structure defined in
> >  xsltInternals.h)
> >
> >  Note 1: I need to be able to change all the xsl:output arguments and
> >    not only the method.
> >
> >  Note 2: I would not like to have to change the fields of the internal
> >    data structures "by hand". Xalan, for example, provides a public method
> >    to do this that takes in input the name and value of the property to
> >    be changed.
>
>   You can edit the fields. But there are no functions to do this.
> Tweaking the stylesheet once compiled is not clean, by essence,
> you can access the result and tweak it, but there is no guaranteed
> way to make this. You will have to access the fields. Note also that
> there can be more than one xsl:output instance per stylesheet.

  I have reread the specific section in the XSLT-1.0 spec. It seems
that the attribute of the xsl:output element should not influence
any of the compilation steps, so modifying those specific element
should not generate incoherencies. There is no API for it but at least
this sounds safe. If you have a good API to suggest, do so,