Re: [xslt] Option --novalid of xsltproc

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 06:17:48PM +0200, Thomas Mauch wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm using xsltproc to transform XML document and trying to figure out
> what exactly the --novalid option influences. As it seems to me, even if
> this option is not specified, the DTD is not used for validating the
> input document.

  right not for validating, but the DTd is loaded anyway to provide
entities replacement and attributes defaulting (which is required by
the XPath data model).

> If I specify "--novalid" on the command line, the DTDs referenced in the
> input document are completely ignored, they even may be missing - what

  yep that's the goal of this option

> makes sense. On the other hand, if I do NOT specify "--novalid", I get
> an error message saying "failed to load external entity" if the DTD is
> missing or a "unable to parse" message, if the DTD is corrupt; if the
> DTD is well-formed however, but the input document does not complies to
> the constraints in the DTD (i.e. it is not a valid XML document),
> nothing happens. What am I missing?

  That loading the DTD and reporting validation errors are 2 distinct
things, and xsltproc does only the first one.