[xslt] saving output of xsltApplyStyleSheet ???

hello

I am a newbie to libxslt.

I have the following code;

int ntransform(char *styleSheetStr, char *inputStr, char *result) {

	xsltStylesheetPtr cur = NULL;
	xmlDocPtr doc, res;

	cur = xsltParseStylesheetFile((const xmlChar *)styleSheetStr);
	doc = xmlParseFile(inputStr);
	res = xsltApplyStylesheet(cur, doc, NULL);

}

my question:
I want to assign the result of "xsltApplyStylesheet" to the parameter
char *result.

In the docs I found only functions to save the result into files or output
buffers, which are structs.

is there an easy way to save the whole result into a char *  variable.

the reason for this is, that I need to pass an char *  pointing to the result
to another function. modifying this function is not possible.

any hints???

thanks in advance

regards

markus