[xslt] question on extension elements

I've written many extension functions and elements for libxslt, but they
have never had to deal with children nodes.

I want to write an extension function that can handle something like this:

<xsl:template match="mynode">
<xsl:variable name="results">
<gss:process-node-set>
 <SQLTABLE name="F0101">
  <SELECTION><ADDRESS_BOOK value="{@abnumber}"/></SELECTION
  <SEQUENCING><xsl:copy-of select="SEQUENCING"/></SEQUENCING>
 </SQLTABLE>
</gss:process-node-set>
</xsl:variable>

(SQLTABLE defines a SQL query, and the results are added as children to the
SQLTABLE node)

I know how to get to the children nodes of gss:process-node-set, but before
I can use them, they have have to have their attributes evaluated and
translated to actual values.  So, within an extension element, how do I
evaluate the children nodes so the attributes that use {} are subsitutued
and any <xsl:/> functions are evaluated?

Thanks!