Re: [xslt] usign windows filenames as SYSTEM identifiers

Hi all,

Just a few points about the last comment. For
those familiar with URI's please disreguard this
message/tutorial.

Justin wrote:
> use the file scheme. This takes the form :
>
>   file:///<file specifier>
>
> Usually file specifier retains standard URI
characteristics of using /
> character as a directory separator, rather than
the DOS \ character. IIRC=
>  the
> triple / is because the initial // sequence
means that you can traverse t=
> he
> following data as hierarchial (ie stripping off
a / component moves you '=
> up'
> the hierarchy), and this would usually be
followed by a location specifie=
> r to
> give the position of the hierarchy - this is
usually a hostname, and file=
> are local so don't have one. Thus to access a
file in the working directo=
> ry
> called foo.xsl you would access (probably) :
>
>   file:///foo.xsl
>
> To access C:\foo.xsl you would use (probably) :
>
>   file:///C:/foo.xsl

Yes you can get away with this name, though not a
safe solution. You need to provide escaped URI's
to libxml/libxslt commands. The upcoming release
of xsldbg it trying to  be leanant in this
reguard and do the escaping for you.

Common escapes codes are
  ":"   = %3A
  " "   = %20

Escape codes are a "%" followed by the
hexadecimal value

See
http://www.mindspring.com/~jc1/serial/Resources/AS
CII.html
for a definition of ascii codes in hexadecimal

The example
    file:///foo.xsl
does not work. I understand this is because an
absolute path or a opaque path should be
provided, not a path relative to the current
directory of some process.

Refer to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
 for a defintion of URI's

Hope this helps.