[xslt] Python bindings and xsldbg

Hi all,

Just wondering, is it expected/hoped that the python binding be able to be
used to extend libxslt creating new XPath functions that will become
"built-in" to libxslt. Or is it going to be more general that that? With
xsldbg I've taken the view that only a few, very able people, will be
extending  libxslt so there is no/little demand for debugging XPath and
"built-in" functions.

If it is expected that adding fuctions via python is going to be commonly
used then I'd like some discussion about how/if it is possible to debug the
"libxslt user" python code. I see in the python library that there is a
module called "pdb" which can be used to debug python scripts. Though I
imagine that python will be invoked as a "C" function rather than via the
interpretor.

Some months ago I had the idea, a very complex one, to support debugging XXX
language scripts via saving the libxml/libxslt environment and then envoking
the language XXX debugger. This would work, I'm fairly sure, but would be
awful to implement :-). The complex part is saving the environment so it can
be reloaded by the debugger ( suppported by some extra libxslt/libxml
API's"C"). I guess once this is done for one language then we could reuse the
extra API's code for other languages. This extra API could/should be part of
an OPTIONAL library(s) that would NOT be built as part of a normal
libxml/libxslt distribution

Comments?

--
Keith Isdale