Re: Re[5]: WG: [xslt] decimal char problem - possible Solution

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   Since you're not the only one facing this problem let's ask globally.
> Assuming xsl:output is method="html", what should we do for browser
> (in)compatibilities:
>
> 1/ Shall we fix htmlEncodeEntities() to only generate entities
>     accepted by all browsers, what is the list one should deprecate ?
>    The list in html40EntitiesTable[] is fairly long.

-1. This sounds wrong.

> 2/ Or should we try to provide an alternative encoding name "htmlcompat"
>    generating ISOLatin1 and the entity subset ?

-1. Major breakage, no?

> 3/ Or should people just use encoding="ISO-8859-1" and make sure charrefs
>    in this case are encoded decimally ?

-1. See my response to point 1.

> 4/ Any other option ? like sticking to what Xalan or Saxon does.

How about supplementing <xsl:output/> with another attribute
(enttype="[hex|dec|char]") or another tag (<exslt:output/>)?

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio@openservices.net>