Re: [xslt] xhtml input encoding problem

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 07:52:22PM +0200, Bernhard Zwischenbrugger wrote:
> But there are still problems with encoding.
> the HTML-File should be iso-8859-1 encoded -
> but it is not. Tidy can't remove illegal characters.
>
> The Problems are   ...
> -> xsltproc dies.
>
> Any idea how to solve this Problem?

  I don't understand your problem.

If the XML declaration of the generated xhtml output from tidy says
it is iso-8859-1 but it's not then the output is not Well-Formed XML
and hence is not well formed XHTML, the input is broken and xsltproc
refuses to process it rightly.

If you mean that tidy outputs   like characters references
then if they are valid in the XML range of accepted chars then xsltproc
will handle them, but you don't explain what's happening I doubt
"xsltproc dies" like you say which seems to imply the fault is on libxslt
which in this case I'm really doubtful :-(

And if you want us to give you an idea of "how to solve this Problem"
providing explicit testcases is the only way to get there without us
loosing time trying to guess what this problem actually is.

Last but not least, if you want to process HTML directly simply give the
--html flag to xsltproc and it will use libxml HTML parser to process the
data !