Re: [xslt] Benchmarking

Robert Koberg wrote:

> > Yes, we know. The XSLTMark test suite was used during development,
> > and is part of the libxslt distribution (see test/XSLTMark). IIRC,
> > our goal was to do a good job on benchmarks that really matters. We
> > did not estimate that recursion was worth spending a lot of effort
> > on.
>
> Recursion is VERY important in XSLT.  Most experienced XSLT developers would
> recurse rather than iterate. That being said, it is still pretty fast.
> Recursion IS worth spending time on! Why do you say it is not?

I was speaking of the trade-off decisions made while developing the
processor (note the past tense). At the time standard compliancy was
more important than speed, pattern matching speed was more important
than recursion speed, etc. We had a lot of ground to cover, and
recursion was low-priority. Things may have changed since then, and
I am certain that Daniel will appreciate any contributions that
optimizes any part of libxslt, including recursion.