Re: [xslt] HTML output; inconsistency with standard?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 12:27:08PM +0100, robert wrote:
> L.S.
> According to the W3C document on XSLT, "If the doctype-public or
> doctype-system attributes are specified, then the html output method should
> output a document type declaration immediately before the first element."
> If I understand this correctly, a <!DOCTYPE> should only be generated if
> one of the above-mentioned attributes to <xsl:output> are supplied.
> However, libxslt always outputs a document type declaration when using
> "html" as output-method, which causes invalid HTML to be generated by my
> application since I supply my own HTML headers/footers which are not part
> of my XSLT sheets.
> I'm interested in hearing why libxslt does this :)

  Right sounds a Real Bug (TM)
The reason is that libxslt uses libxml2 HTML generation interfaces, and
those interfaces are ti seems a bit less flexible than XSLT requires.
I will probably need to clean up the interface a bit, of check that it's
not libxslt wich makes an inappropriate choice :-)

  Thanks for the bug report,

Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Network
veillard redhat com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit | Rpmfind RPM search engine