[xslt] HTML output; inconsistency with standard?

L.S.

According to the W3C document on XSLT, "If the doctype-public or
doctype-system attributes are specified, then the html output method should
output a document type declaration immediately before the first element."

If I understand this correctly, a <!DOCTYPE> should only be generated if
one of the above-mentioned attributes to <xsl:output> are supplied.

However, libxslt always outputs a document type declaration when using
"html" as output-method, which causes invalid HTML to be generated by my
application since I supply my own HTML headers/footers which are not part
of my XSLT sheets.

I'm interested in hearing why libxslt does this :)

                                                                     robert