[xml] Is anyone still using XPointer ranges?

I'm curious if there are people out there who still use XPointer ranges, specifically things like the range-to XPath extension function. This part of the code base is extremely buggy and the latest spec seems to be a Working Draft from 2002 which was never finished [1]. The xpointer() scheme is listed as "being reviewed" in the XPointer registry since 2006 [2]. I couldn't find any other projects that are still maintained and implement this feature. Here are some that don't:

- Xerces: "The XPointer xpointer() Scheme is currently not supported." [3]
- Mvp.Xml: " XPointer xpointer() Scheme (XPath subset only)" [4]

Since I have no plans to work on this part of the code base, I'm thinking about phasing out support for this feature. xpointer() expressions will continue to work but without any XPath extensions for locations, ranges and points. Just like the xpath1() scheme which we should start to support as well.

Nick

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointer/
[2] https://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpointer-schemes/
[3] https://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xinclude.html