[xml] schema validation with entities

Good morning – is there any way to successfully execute schema validation on XML containing entity definitions/references with libxml2 *without* substituting the entities yourself?  I notice xmllint produces the same error I’m getting in my code:

ent_exp3.xml:8: element fruit: Schemas validity error : Internal error: xmlSchemaVDocWalk, there is at least one entity reference in the node-tree currently being validated. Processing of entities with this XML Schema processor is not supported (yet). Please substitute entities before validation..

fruits_ent_exp3.xml validation generated an internal error

Thanks,

Lara