Re: [xml] performance of parsing docbook with xincludes

On 06/07/2018 12:54 AM, Eric S. Eberhard wrote:
I know I am the oddball here but -- why use DTDs at all?

I gave reasons above. I am working on a tool. How people using the tool is not under my control. Maybe we can focus on the opportunity to improve libxml2 a bit here.

  I supply software to a lot of companies (thousands through dealers).  Many exchange millions of XML docs per day.  I've used this since it was libxml.  Even have some patches in there.  My application is proprietary (meaning XML to get an order or tell a customer our availability is simply XML I designed and documented and give to my customer's customers (via download from a Web page)).  Once they get it working it pretty much always works.  They write software to create orders and send them to us -- it is consistent (I know, not everyone has this luxury so this may not apply to everyone).  So why check them?

I also found that I was getting a gagillion support tickets because DTDs ... simple things like a date ... seem to escape people -- take June 7, 2018

In our date fields we will take:
    Jun 7 2018
    June 7 2018
    the above with commas and any case (upper/lower/mixed)
    6/7/18
    6/7/2018
    2018/6/7
    20180607
    180606
     06-07-18

And actually many many more.  Anything that is a date goes through this one routine and if there is any way in the world to extract a date, we do.

Ditto money -- say $1,245.56

We accept:
    $1,245.56
      1245.56
      124556        (decimal is implied at 2 places if no decimal is found)
       1,235.56

And many more - same thing, one routine reads it and if we can possibly get a reasonable number, we do.

This, in turn, reduced our CONSTANT support tickets for silly things like a format of something to ZERO.  Which I like.

Even sicker -- we ignore case on tags.  All of our XML is designed to not use duplicate names with different cases (stupid thing to do anyway -- expect orderNumber and OrderNumber to both be used, as different things).

As long as the customer is consistent and the XML is well formed we scan the tree and compare tags without regard to case.  A WHOLE LOT more support tickets gone.

A lot of the people we deal with are not sophisticated.  As the receiver of XML we decided it was much better to be as flexible as possible and take what we can if at all possible.  After all -- a DTD can indeed tell you if an address comes in without a city name.  And reject it and usually generate a support ticket.  Since we use an on-line AVS system (more XML) and if we have the zip and the address otherwise matches ... we don't need the city and state ... the AVS system provides it.  And if it fails they will get an error back from us (from the application) anyway.  So why use a DTD to see if the city or state were sent?  A LOT MORE support calls removed.

And, of course, performance without the DTDs is much better.

As a result we are able to give documentation to new customers and they are able to get it up and running with little to no help.  Any serious errors we cannot fix are clearly explained in the responses BY THE APPLICATION and not by a DTD.

Being flexible on our end reduces support tickets which is all I care.  I would rather code for all the mistakes I can think of an enduser would make (and we add new ones when they crop up) than be strict and do a lot of support.  We don't think DTDs are flexible enough.  And I hate making them :-)

We do offer a page with DTDs they can use manually to check their document if they like -- or they can send it to our test system.  Once they are running they seem to do just fine.

As programmers it is hard to believe but sometimes it is better for us to make slightly less efficient code in order to make the human aspect much more efficient.  I once had someone send me a link to a "contest" which was a convoluted C statement and asking to solve what the result would be.  My response -- "fire the programmer!"

If it takes 100s of competent C programmers to get the right answer (and only a small percent did) to read a line of code -- it is bad code.  And for people's information, modern computers read ahead and pre-execute code based on all kinds of weird logic.  Simple C code is easy for it to handle ... but convoluted code ends up stopping the pre-execution and is actually slower -- may have less lines of code -- but it will be slower.  I see nothing wrong with short clear clean code with as little craziness as possible.  This is the same with XML -- one can go overboard easily, K.I.S.S.  :-)

Not being so strict and no DTDs has had other benefits -- say EDI (from old IBMs) -- we have a cheap program that maps EDI to XML and back.  So we can handle EDI -- and we don't need new software (after the conversion).  We accept the EDI, convert to XML, run our standard application, create XML response, which is converted to EDI.  The package we use is low cost and no, it won't work too well with DTDs as EDI has it's own problems.

I could go on but most of you have probably skipped this post by now :-)